Every now and then my partner Sarah and I will turn off our phones, make our packed lunches, go somewhere, and walk. We don’t work, this is our time. Time for noticing what is happening. Time for being together. Time to slow time down.
We’ve done this for several years now. And for all of 2012 we decided to take all Fridays off work and document our walks for a whole year. And here they are, listed below.
We repeated some of our favourite walks throughout the year. Because it wasn’t just about the walking. None of them were challenging routes. It was more about really getting to know the places. What’s growing, what’s happening, what’s dying back, what’s new, what’s gone. Walking in rhythm with the seasons, and our heartbeats, and the times of our lives.
Nearly all of the walks were in or near the place where we live, Liverpool. Some urban, many rural, and nearly all of them involving the coast at some point.
And every now and then we’d go further afield.
We still walk regularly, though not always on Fridays, and I still write about them occasionally on the blog – just search on ‘walking.’ But here is the completed story of one year of walking and recording it all in words and pictures.
The Friday Walks, 2012
- January 4, 2013 Wirral
- December 29, 2012 Heptonstall
- December 21, 2012 Home for Christmas?
- December 15, 2012 A year on the Shining Shore
- December 7, 2012: On foot
- November 30, 2012 Walk out to Winter
- November 23, 2012 The Darkling
- November 16, 2012 Thurstaston Common
- November 11, 2012: To the Islands and beyond
- November 2, 2012: The Marshlands
- October 26, 2012: The Shining Shore, Hedgerows and Broomsticks
- October 19, 2012: Walking in Golden Autumn
- October 12, 2012: Northern Sky, The Hospice of Hampsfell
- October 5, 2012: Noticing
- September 28, 2012: The Shining Shore, a meditation
- September 14, 2012: Everton and Liverpool
- September 7, 2012: Harvest
- August 31, 2012: North of Southport
- August 24, 2012: The Shining Shore, the LP version
- August 18, 2012: The far end
- August 11, 2012: The edge of the edge
- August 3, 2012: The Shining Shore, ‘I think this is one of my favourite places’
- July 20, 2012: Running Free
- June 30, 2012: The Green Marsh
- June 16, 2012: The Docker’s Steps
- June 1, 2012: The Shining Shore, Canopy Closure
- May 19, 2012: Walking with Champions
- May 12, 2012: Ynys Llanddwyn
- May 4, 2012: The Edge of Nowhere
- April 27, 2012: The Road to Ness
- April 20, 2012: On the edge of Liverpool
- April 14, 2012: Springtime on The Shining Shore
- April 7, 2012: Ferry ‘cross the Mersey
- March 24, 2012: There and back again
- March 17, 2012: Liverpool Gardens
- March 10, 2012: The Marshlands
- March 2, 2012, The Shining Shore, The Life Force
- February 25, 2012: Lost Liverpool
- February 11, 2012: Walking with Rachel
- February 3, 2012: The Shining Shore
- January 28, 2012: The coat of many colours
- January 21, 2012: Tapas and Matisse
- January 14, 2012: A new one
- January 8, 2012: To the island